Staff Engineer will support the addition of our new research and development laboratory. Reporting to the R&D Director, the Staff Engineer will provide technical support to the North American R&D Department involved in the product planning, development, design, testing and production preparation of our rubber products. This position works closely with production, engineering, and materials teams for the establishment and maintenance of a cohesive, safe and efficient process. Assignments are complex, requiring solid industry experience, sound judgment, and strong initiative.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Help develop appropriate performance requirements in accordance with the new product concept, product plan and market needs
- Determine specific product design parameters based on required product performance using general knowledge of rubber properties, rubber dynamics, and rubber uniformity and handling characteristics.
- Assist in the preparation of the “Product Development Plan” and “Performance Requirements Deployment Chart” to control the product development and design process for the purpose of achieving the required performances
- Relates desired Product characteristics to construction configurations and materials to optimize performance and quality
- Collaborate in the execution of product structural designs, product pattern designs, and profile designs, which will achieve the required performances. Help develop prototypes and evaluate the actual achievements in comparison with the required performances. Help re-evaluate the design regarding the unmet performance requirements
- Conduct DFMEA to address and control latent failures
- May also lead and conduct the design review meeting
- Participant in the develop prototypes by using production molds, evaluate the achieved performance results in comparison with the performance requirements, prepare planned production specifications and conduct the detailed design completion meeting to enable smooth transition toward production
- Work with team to issue a set of finalized specifications as the final output from the Design
- Perform technical root cause analysis in connection with applicable market claims; prepare reports and take necessary measures
- Make new technology proposals, prepare technical reports, and make patent proposals in connection with new product development
- Develop and execute activities involving continuous improvement
- Investigate and execute ideas for material-cost reduction
- Gather accurate information on the market trends
- Other duties may be assigned
- Minimum three (3) years of related experience, including working with multidisciplinary Engineering and Manufacturing associates
- Requires strong written and verbal communication, analytical and planning skills
- Demonstrated knowledge to input and extract computerized layout, 3-D CAD, spreadsheet and database management
- Equipment design experience and project engineering or project management experience is preferred
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Customer service centric mindset with strong presentation skills
- Solid PC skills utilizing Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and 3-D layout software (Catia)
- Ability to work in a safe manner and follow all safety procedures
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree from a four-year, accredited college or university in Engineering or Mathematics. A Master's degree is preferred. Prior experience working in the rubber or automotive industry in product development or product management role is strongly desired.